How To Use A Weed Grinder
The Ins And Outs Of Using A Weed Grinder
When looking into weed grinders a very basic but very important question is “How to use a weed grinder”. In this article, we will go over the “how to” basics of using a manual weed grinder. A grinder allows a user to break down cannabis nugs into fine pieces which makes for a more consistent burn. This then yields a more pleasant smoking experience. They are typically used when smoking a joint, blunt, or bong.
4 Sections Of A Weed Grinder
The first major item we will go over is the anatomy of a grinder. The most basic form is one that includes 4 different parts. While three and five-piece grinders do exist, today we shall be focusing on the 4 piece grinder(See picture below).
You turn this to help grind up the nugs, and works in tandem with the grinding section to help break down the weed.
2. Grinding Section
This section includes teeth, but also small holes which allows the finely ground nugs to fall down into the storage section.
3. Grind Storage
This is what holds all the weed after grinding. What separates it and a kief catcher is a fine mesh screen that allows the kief to fall into the bottom final chamber. Without the separation of the storage chamber and the kief catcher, a grinder can become very sticky in no time at all.
4. Kief Catcher
The final chamber holds the kief. Not all grinders have one so check yours or ones you may be interested in.
How to use a weed grinder
Now that you know the anatomy of a grinder, we can discuss how you operate it to achieve a great grind.
1. Take 3 to 5 buds of weed, depending on the diameter of your grinder, and place them into the grinder section. Make sure they are snug between the teeth around the outer perimeter of the grinding section. Note: Take this time to make sure you have removed any stems or seeds from your nugs.
2. Once you have done this, place the lid on top.
3. Rotate the lid around 10-20 times until you get a nice fine grind. At first, you will feel some resistance while turning the lid, this is normal. Note: If it’s impossible to turn it, you have over-packed the grinder and need to remove some material.
4. Once twisting is smooth and easy, feel free to check the storage section and the kief catcher to use your material for smoking.
Don’t worry about using it all at once, you can keep the leftover product in the storage chamber and kief catcher for a later date.
If you are thinking of picking up a new weed grinder, please check out our Best of list of grinders by type HERE. There is everything from manual to novelty ones and our list of overall “Best of the best.”
This is one of my favorite grinders:
How To Grind Weed Without A Grinder
If you currently don’t have a grinder with you, we understand your dilemma, and decided to include how to grind weed WITHOUT a grinder. (You can check out the full “How To” article HERE)
Below are some of our favorites that you can do with some basic home items.
1. Hand ripping the nugs apart until you have small buds.
2. Chopping the weed with either a sharp knife and cutting board or using a key.
3. Use cheese graters or coffee grinders, although I really don’t like this method. Keep reading to learn why.
4. I think the best is to take a quarter and put it in a paper cup. Then I take the desired amount of weed nugs and place it in the cup with the quarter. Finally, you cover it and make sure to shake it in a circular motion. I do this for a few minutes, checking the consistency of the bud every now and then to make sure it’s grinding down to exactly where I want it. Keep shaking in a circular motion until you achieve the level of grind you want.
A very important part to remember is anything you use to help you in this process will not only get sticky, but will also smell like weed. Due to this, try to avoid using anything that’s important to your daily routine or valuable. Cheese graters and coffee grinders are particularly hard to clean, so use them at your own risk.
If you’re still confused about the ins and outs of using a grinder please comment below and one of our experts will respond as quickly as they can. Also, we’ve included this video explanation to aid you in your quest to learn how to use these tools.
Decarbing Your Weed So it’s time to gather the ingredients to make your favorite...
How To Travel With Your Weed Grinder With many states and countries changing their...
How To Grind Weed Without A Grinder A big question for those just starting to smoke weed...
Keeping It Clean And Green If you are like me and use your grinder a lot, you will have to...
4 Important Steps To Storing Weed 1. Keep it cool 2. Keep it in the dark 3. Keep it...